Thursday, August 25, 2011

Long Hiatus!

So my hiatus was far longer than expected, but the Sunday Go Blog is up and running again!  Between moving twice, job hunting, and general insanity, it's been hard to get back in the groove of writing, but now I'm back and there'll be more Go than you can shake a stick at!  I'm working on the next three books in the series and hopefully will come out with the 4th level dan book, in conjunction with Alexandre Dinerchtein 3p.  I'm really busy, but I will always make time for Go fans.

First off, I finally have a Twitter account.  I still do not really understand what the allure of Twitter is, but I'm sure someday I'll get it.  I was dragged kicking and screaming into the technological age.  I think if you click this button you will be able to join my Twitter feed, or spy on me, or something.




Second, as I said earlier, I'll be in hardcore writing mode until the end of the year.  I am working back and forth on at least four books.  I want to finally do the Go problems books, one for each level, to complement the "So You Want to Play Go?" series.  I'm also going to try and finish up the book for expert players, and then a small book on studying in Korea and teaching for a year.  It's a lot, I know, but I'll sleep when I'm dead :P  You can check out everything I've already written which is available on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X9781O

Third, well, Go!  I've gotten back into watching Hikaru no Go, specifically the North Star Cup movie.  I haven't seen the series in at least a year and I felt inspired to watch it all over again.  I especially like the movie  except the fact that it stops short of where the manga ended.  Of course the manga ending is...Japanese.  The heroes don't really win and there isn't a big happy ending.  What endears me most to the movie is that you get some matchups between the characters that you kind of wish had happened earlier.  Touya vs. Ogata and Shindou vs. his teacher.  And of course, Ochi breaking down in tears is a must-see.  I wish that had finished actually animated the Japan-Korea-China tournament.  I mean, you have all this build up and then you never do it; kind of a let down :)

You can check it out on youtube here:
http://youtu.be/kaMBImT0ZWE

If I can find the game Shindou and Yashiro play online I think I'll analyze it and post it.  Anyways, welcome back to the blog!

comments